Thursday, January 19, 2017

Storybook Favorites

1. If Dragons Took Over the World

My first storybook that I really liked was “If Dragons took Over the World.” This storybook caught my attention because I like this kind of fiction writing, plus you don’t see many stories about dragons ruling the world and being the dominant species on Earth. In the introduction, we get exposed to dragons in “high school” going to their history classes and learning about the dragons who came before them and who fought in the Revolutionary War of Dark Ages. I haven’t read the specific stories concerning the dragons of interest, but the introduction did a great job on sparking my interest, and I’m excited to learn about great dragon Coca, in particular. As for the storybook’s background, I think it does a good job on setting the mood for the story, because the story is set in a cave and the background itself is dark with some red, green, and yellow kind of glowing in the background. 

                                                            Old Red Dragon, KleberusX

2. Fantastically Tragic Deaths in Greek Mythology

The second storybook that I chose was “Fantastically Tragic Deaths in Greek Mythology” with Persephone as the narrator. Based on the title of this storybook I figured out pretty easily what the story was probably going to be about, that is, stories about famous Greek heroes deaths’. Achilles is one of my favorite Greek heroes, because of the fact that he doesn’t really have any special “god” powers, rather he is extremely skilled in fighting. The introduction kind of threw me off however, because I wasn’t expecting Persephone to be the one telling the story. This was a nice little twist though because it paints the picture from her point of view and shows how much trouble we humans cause to the gods, from a Greek-mythological perspective.

3. The Sherwood Investigators

My final choice was “The Sherwood Investigators” that tells the story of Roger Godberd, Robin Hood’s faithful friend to the end. I chose this storybook because I like a good mystery story and that’s the vibe I got from the title of this storybook. This storybook did a wonderful job with the use of images sprinkled throughout the stories and it really helps you visualize what’s going on. Also, the white background with green trimming was a simple, but nice touch that doesn’t distract you from reading the story and getting a visual through the images placed throughout.

No comments:

Post a Comment