Monday, January 30, 2017

Reading Notes: Homer's Iliad, Part A

For my week 3 reading, I decided to go with a classical reading, namely Homer's Iliad as retold by A.J., Church. I really enjoyed watching the movie Troy, but the emphasis in that movie is placed on Achilles and Hector, without the explicit help of the gods and their influence. What I found particularly interesting was how much the gods changed, helped along, and/or prevented throughout the battle for Troy. If I were to change this story and make it my own, I think the biggest detail I would change is how the god's interacted with the humans throughout the battle.




For instance, Zeus aids both the Greeks and the Trojans and the other gods are helpless to stop him from doing this. The other gods are more one-sided than Zeus is and I think this is how I would write-up Zeus. I could possibly turn this story into a battle for power on Mount Olympus between the gods, but that is played out in the battle for Troy. Just a thought.

Also, I noticed that Hector said that it would be better if the Earth opened up and swallowed Paris, because of his transgressions against the well-being of Troy. I could play with this and possibly have Hector kill Paris and then try and save Troy by returning Helen. This might require changing Hector's personality though, which would also alter the story and its outcome. Maybe even to the point of Hector taking Helen as his wife?

Another thought I had was to have all the sons/daughters of the gods team up and have them fight against the Greeks/Trojans. I initially had this thought when I read about Sarpedon and how he was also the son of Zeus. This would mean that I would have to introduce some new characters who are the offspring of the gods into the story so that they would have a fighting chance against their enemies, but it could work. However, another interesting detail to explore would be how the gods of Mount Olympus would react to this formation of their offspring. The gods might see this formation as a possible uprising against them to take Mount Olympus. This would be similar to how Zeus and his brothers overthrew the Titans.










Bibliography: Homer's Iliad by A.J., Church

Image: Greek gods in discussion, Wikimedia Commons

No comments:

Post a Comment