Monday, January 23, 2017

Reading Notes: Adam and Eve, Part A



As I was reading Adam and Eve, Part A, I thought of a lot of changes that could be made in order to craft a different version of the creation story. The following are some details about the history of Adam and Eve that I could use to write a different version of the creation story. I would experiment with man having dominion over all the animals, maybe man being created in an image other than God, himself, God creating the Earth in a different amount of time, rather than seven days, and also, experimenting with the idea of animals having souls. There is a plethora of avenues and crossroads that I could branch off of, but I found those specific details to be of the most interest, because you could really create a whole new world if you changed those details.




For the most part, I would keep all the characters the same, with the exception of Lilith. Reading about Lilith in Adam and Eve, Part A, was the first exposure I have ever had to this character. I have the thought to make her into an evil character of some sort because of the way in which she was treated in the story.




When it comes to the dialogue, I'd like to give the angels more of a voice. For instance, when Satan is arguing with the other angels, there is not much dialogue, and the story quickly comes back to focus on Adam. I'm not sure if I'd make Satan a good guy or keep him bad, but there's definitely some character development there. Additionally, Michael and the other archangels are hardly mentioned, and considering the great battle that they went through in order to help toss down Satan from Heaven, I think they deserve some character development as well.




Another little side note, I've always thought of the Serpent and Satan as being one in the same, but in these stories there is no mention of them being one in the same. With that being said, they could be made into either partners or something like duality, kind of like God is the trinity.




Last but not least, when Adam and Eve are thrown out of the garden of Eden, I've always wondered if they ever tried to get back in. There's definitely an adventure/story there. And considering that Adam and Eve were probably the most knowledgeable humans ever when it came to God, they'd be the humans most likely to succeed and get back into the garden of Eden. That's also assuming that God, in his omniscience, didn't smite them for even trying.




Bibliography: By Louis Ginzberg, Adam and Eve
Image: Adam and Eve being cast out of the garden of Eden

No comments:

Post a Comment