Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Week 13 Reading Notes: Dante's Inferno, Part B

For Tuesday's reading I kept on going with Dante's Inferno, Part B. This story was too intriguing to not continue and see what happened in the last few rings of Hell. It's crazy how visual Dante makes and describes his story about the nine rings of Hell and also about who is down there and for what they are down there for. This is definitely a story that I could take from and recreate or mix with another story to make it more original.





Since today is Wednesday and I did a story planning post last week over Merlin, I think that I will combine Dante's Inferno reading with the Merlin reading. In order to do this, I am going to alter my approach to Merlin's storyline in that I will take up from the time when Merlin dies. Specifically, I will take up from when Merlin gets himself trapped inside his own tomb. From there, I will have him try and escape by using all the magic at his disposal until that is utterly exhausted. At that point, I will begin the Dante's Inferno intermingling in which I will begin to add the elements from Dante's story.

I think this will be an interesting take on both stories, because Merlin himself purports to know everything, but does he also know about what happens in the afterlife? That's what I'm going to try and explore during my storytelling. It'll also be interesting to see how Merlin's magic works in the afterlife. Will he still be all-powerful or will he be just another soul? And which ring will Merlin end up descending to? Will he even go to Hell? All these questions will help me and writing a good story for this week's storytelling.







Bibliography: Dante's Divine Comedy as translated by Tony Kline (2002).

Image: Close up view of the nine rings of Hell

No comments:

Post a Comment