Monday, April 17, 2017

Week 13 Reading Note: Dante's Inferno, Part A

For this week's reading I was originally going to do my notes over the Russian tales, but after browsing through some more of the readings, I decided to go with Dante's Inferno unit. I chose this reading unit because my fiancé and I sometimes get to talking about christianity and the afterlife so this seemed like a great reading to do. Before I did this reading, the most I knew about Dante's Inferno was that his descriptions of his adventures to Hell was very graphic. Since I have no plan on going to this place, I figure that reading about one individual's descriptions of Hell would be enough for me lol.



What took my interest the most was the different circles of Hell and who the residents of those circles were. obviously, the most well-known figures resided in the outermost circles, such as Socrates, Aristotle, and Achilles. Additionally, before Jesus came and took a select few out of Purgatory, those individuals resided in Hell as well. The reason that I found this interesting was because of the unknowns that concern the afterlife. From the Christian faith we know that if you believe in Jesus and accept him as your one and only savior, you will ascend to Heaven and obtain everlasting life. However, there has been skepticism about what happened to those who died before Jesus died on the cross. In this reading unit we do get an answer to this question.
I would definitely agree that Dante's Inferno was an original work of literature and this is a story that I would be excited to use as inspiration for my Wednesday's storytelling. As for the elements that I would use for my story, they would be as follows: 1. Having a Master take my main character through some supernatural event as his/her guide, 2. Having my main character be very inquisitive so that answers are provided and, 3. Having my main character meet and talk with characters from other areas/regions/timelines.


Bibliography: Dante's Divine Comedy as translated by Tony Kline (2002).
Image: Map of Hell in Dante's Divine Comedy

No comments:

Post a Comment