Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Reading Notes: King Arthur, Part A

For Week 12's reading I decided to go with the King Arthur readings. I've always been a fan of King Arthur, Merlin, and the knights of the Round Table. After reading Part A i found out some stuff that I never knew actually happened in and during the life of King Arthur. For one I never knew that King Arthur was adopted and had to continue to prove over and over again that he could pull the sword out of the stone. Also, I always thought that the sword that Arthur pulled out of the stone was the sword Excalibur. I never had any idea that the two swords were not one in the same. 

To me, Merlin was a very interesting character because his character knows everything that will happen. Having this omnipotence, however, does not stop him from getting himself locked underground for life. I found this ironic especially because he must have known that he was going to his death, but he did it anyway because he had so much love for a woman who didn't even love him back. Obviously, even the great Merlin was not exempt from his own fate, so to speak. 




With all this in mind, I might write about a character who is similar to Merlin. A character who tries his best to lead others to greatness because he knows of his own shortcomings. A character who ultimately succeeds in some areas and fails his own self. The more and more that I think about it, the more a story like this seems to need a moral to it. If I was going to write a story with a moral to it then it might end up being something like, "with great power comes great responsibility." However, I'll probably end up changing it haha.







Bibliography: King Arthur by Andrew Lang

Image: Merlin the Enchanter 

No comments:

Post a Comment