Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Reading Notes: Beowulf, Part A

For Tuesday's reading of week 11, I chose Beowulf. I've always wanted to read the story of Beowulf, but I have never had the opportunity to do so. After reading part A of the Beowulf unit, I feel greatly inspired. Everything about this story spells hero, so far. Also, Beowulf is a man among men as I understand it, because the men of Geatsland seem like giants themselves.



The first element that I'm planning on using from the Beowulf unit is the fact that Beowulf is so powerful even when compared to men who are much older than himself. It is pointed out in the Beowulf unit that even as a child, Beowulf displayed strength that was uncharacteristic of a kid his age. Applying this to my own storytelling, I would like to create a character who is born with great strength, but isn't taught how to use it. Perhaps, as he grows older, he will meet mentors who are able to teach and guide him how to use his profound strength. This could even take elements from Star Wars, because as I type this, it seems more and more similar to Luke and Yoda.
The second element is the fact that Beowulf's peers and seniors do not take him seriously. In the Beowulf unit, Beowulf performs a great swimming feat, but people tend to discredit him because they just don't think that he could do it. Also, everyone calls him the Sluggard, because he trips over his own sword and seems lazy. The truth is that his strength has not been fully tested and pushed to its limits. In short, he has had no real challenge, so he appears to be lazy because he simply can't try his hardest. I would like to apply this to my own story by having my main character easily complete whatever tasks are set before him. In completing these tasks, I will have the onlookers think that the main character is full of himself or something of this nature.


Bibliography: Beowulf by Strafford Riggs
Image: Young Beowulf when he was sixteen, in the Untextbook by Henry Pitz (1933).

No comments:

Post a Comment