Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Reading Notes: Twenty-Two Goblins, Part B

This story, Twenty-Two Goblins, didn't end the way that I thought it was going to end. In the end, the Goblin ended up helping the King to kill the Monk, who turned out to be a bad guy. Although this little plot twist wasn't super crazy, I was still caught off guard by it. I thought for sure that that the King would end up finding a way out of the Goblin's curse and then would stroll along and finish the job that he set out to do for the Monk.

As was with the Part A reading, there were some common themes that connected all the riddles, which I will not repeat here. The way that I interpreted all these riddles was that the Goblin was attempting to break the King's will to keep coming back to retrieve the corpse that the Goblin was possessing. In the end, only the Goblin's Great Riddle was able to stump the King, but the King was able to still display his wisdom by remaining silent because he could not give an answer and he would not deceive the Goblin either. This led the Goblin to have admiration for the King and thus helped him kill the corrupt Monk who was planning to steal the Goblin's powers by force.


With all that being said, I don't know if I want to continue with the military theme or go with a different theme altogether. Since I am in the process of making changes, I am thinking about telling this story from either the Goblin's or Monk's point of view. From the Goblin's point of view, the story wouldn't change dramatically, however, it would take on a different perspective. If I told the story from the Monk's point of view, I feel as if the story would have a more dramatic change, because the Monk was not present during any of these riddles and/or the plan for him to be killed.







Bibliography: Twenty-Two Goblins by Arthur Ryder

Image: The goblin in the tree

No comments:

Post a Comment