Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Reading Notes: Monkey King, Part A



For this week's reading, I read part A of the Monkey King Sun Wu Kung. This was one of my favorite reads so far because of the adventures and knowledge that Sun goes on and learns. I also found it intriguing how Sun is able to cause as much commotion as he does without any repercussions. From taking weapons by the use of magic to intimidating Death in order to keep his ape family from dying, it's just insane.

One interesting detail that I kept thinking about though, was how Sun was not already a saint or god due to his being born of divinity, so to speak. I also found myself wondering why Sun was the only one who was hatched via the Mountain of Flowers and Fruits. I guess it could be that there's a time delay in between births...? However, I'm thinking of giving Sun an antagonist who is possibly a younger brother who is born out of necessity in order to stop Sun's antics. 



More details that I was thinking of changing was what Sun was made out of. Instead of being made out of stone, he could be made out of metal, which is more durable than stone. How this relates to anything, though, I have yet to contemplate. Additionally, Sun and his apes are not subject to the rule of man. This is something that I could play with in some way, shape, or form.

Another important detail is the Discerner, Sun's teacher/mentor. From the stories, it seems as if the Discerner is/will be the only one who will be able to take on Sun and beat him. Obviously this would go against a possible little brother of Sun's rising up to defeat him. So, I could have the Discerner teach/mentor the possible little brother as well.

Finally, an intriguing detail that I'd like to play around with is Sun's "monkey mind." This lack of focus in Sun gets him into trouble with the Discerner and ultimately leads to his expulsion. Too often do brilliant people get ahead of themselves and end up causing their own demise. This is something that I want to build upon in my story.










Bibliography: The Monkey King Sun Wu Kung translated Frederick H. Martens

Image: Sun, the Monkey King from the Monkey King Unit

No comments:

Post a Comment