Monday, March 6, 2017

Week 8 Reflections



1. My Readings

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the readings that I have chosen up to this point because they have all been about something that I have found intriguing. If given the option to go back and re-choose some of my stories, I might, but not because I regret the stories that I chose to read, but because of the interesting stories that I have read from my peers. My peers have written some pretty bomb stories that were based on stories that I didn't read. For that, I commend them!

As for the notes that I have taken on my readings, I think I've been doing a solid job! I'm not trying to say that I don't have room for improvement, but what I am saying is that the notes that I took helped me to make that nice and smooth transition from my notes to my storytelling. In the assignment instructions, it said to pay attention to important and intriguing details and that's what I have been doing. So far that method has worked out splendid for me and I don't see any great need to change now!

Lastly, for the next half of the semester, I'm looking at Native American Hero Tales, Beowulf, and Russian fairy tales for weeks 9-14. I chose Native American Hero Tales because it has a mix of different Native American cultures and I didn't want to settle for just one region if I'm going to read about some of my own people! For the Beowulf reading, that's a given. Beowulf is a bad mamma jamma who supposedly takes on a dragon in this reading?! And for the Russian fairy tales reading, I have no idea what to expect because, to my knowledge, I have not been exposed to any Russian fairy tales before.

2. Writing

When I looked back over my stories, I had a good laugh. I laughed because of the stories that I came up with and how ridiculous they were. If I were not in this class, I would never had started blogging like this, but I'm glad that I am in this class. Likewise, I am happy with the stories that I have written thus far.



I've learned a lot about writing since the first story that I wrote for this class. For example, I knew that there were multiple different methods of writing stories, but I never really considered which POV would be the best for any given story. This is something that I've struggled with when writing my stories because I want my stories to come out in the best manner possible. With that in mind, however, I love reading about stories with great detail and imagery and this is what I think I need to work on in my own stories. I also continuously try and improve on making connections throughout my story so that it is coherent and makes sense when it is read by others.

3. Connecting

When thinking about other people's stories, a couple things come to mind. First, there are a lot of good writers out there! At least that's what I've noticed when reading other people's stories. Some good habits that they have is their use of detail and imagery, both things that I am trying to improve upon. Second, is their grammatical errors in their stories. For the most part this doesn't really bother me, but if I'm reading along and there's a trip up in the writing, it throws off my groove and that can be a little annoying. I think that people just get excited when writing their stories and they forget to go back and edit their stories afterwards.

I guess that's where feedback comes in. My favorite method to employ when critiquing stories other than my own is the WWW method that we learned of a while back. This method is great because it gives you an easy to use template when offering feedback and it starts on a positive note, which I think is usually appreciated, as opposed to starting off with constructive criticism. Other than that I think I can improve my feedback by giving more detailed feedback so that those who are receiving it know where to go next with their stories.









Image: Bruce Lee quote

No comments:

Post a Comment