Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Reading Notes: Japanese Mythology, Part A







For Tuesday's reading, I read about Japanese mythology! Now, these readings were very interesting because I watch Naruto and some of the skills/abilities are the gods/goddesses in these stories. For example, Izanagi and Izanami are Mangekyo Sharingan abilities in Naruto Shippuden. I know this is all very nerdy, but I found it interesting and that made the stories easy to read!

As with most mythology and origin stories, these Japanese mythological stories followed somewhat the same pattern. By this, I mean that there were the high gods (Izanagi and Izanami), so to speak, and the lesser gods or deities (Amaterasu and Susano). The reason that I say lesser is because the gods have children and those children are endowed with powers/abilities, but usually to a lesser extent than their parents before them. Also, in these stories, each generation goes through some event that influences where they are today and what their role is as a god/goddess.

Since I did Tuesday's reading on Japanese Mythology and Monday's reading on African Folk-Tales, I am going to attempt to use elements from both of these readings in my story-telling for Wednesday. The elements I am thinking about using are the generations from this reading and the idea of gods as well. Additionally, since I planned on placing my story-telling in the present day and age, I might transfer these elements over as two brothers (Lion and Jackal) who have inherited a business from their parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, etc. (Izanagi and Izanami), who end up coming into conflict because of their dealing business dealings/empire.







Bibliography: Japanese Mythology by E. W. Champney and F. Champney.

Image: Izanagi and Izanami from the Untextbook

No comments:

Post a Comment